Killamarsh branch in North East Derbtyshire CLP submits the following ideas to add to the next Labour Party Manifesto:
• As a core principle, education provision must aim to realise the full potential of all citizens at whatever stage of their life.
• Investment in Early Years education is fundamentally important to this principle, and we must urgently reverse cuts in provision over previous years, and add further investment to ensure providers are able to offer the most comprehensive services to under 5's.
• We should develop a truly comprehensive school system for everyone, with no selection at 11 years old. Funding should be made available to schools to enable a broad curriculum for all, and to enable teaching and support staff to work effectively without jeopardising their health and well-being.
• The withdrawal of Education Maintenance Awards has had a detrimental impact on educational opportunity for 16 – 19 year olds. Financial support for this age group must be restored to enable the widest possible take up of post 16 provision at schools and Further Education Colleges.
• We must increase the investment in high quality apprenticeships, ensuring parity between those who take up vocational and academic pathways.
• The Open University is a jewel in Labour's crown, and investment must be made available to ensure its continued health in being able to serve the educational needs of adults.